Saturday 17 September 2016

Physalis sp. - cape gooseberry, ground cherry, husk tomato, tomatillo

I have been collecting seeds of physalis species. They are a relative of peppers and tomatoes. They have an outer papery husk hiding a tomato like berry. I have been trying decipher the different varieties, so I can collect them to grow next year. This can be difficult because seed companies and gardeners use the common names; cape gooseberry, ground cherry and husk tomato interchangeably, for different species.

So far, from what I have read, the species/varieties can be broken up like this. If anyone reading this can see something not right here, or has something to add, then please comment.

Tomatillo

Physalis ixocapa ( philadelphica) Verde - Green tomatillo. These have been cultivated in mexico and Guatemala for a long time. This means there are multiple varieties. I have "verde" so far but may try to find one of the really big varieties. I have grown these before and they were very nice and very productive. The fruits are large and burst through the husk. they have a savory flavour similar to but different from a tomato. Used for making salsa verde. Also nice in sauces.
Physalis ixocapa ( philadelphicaPurple - As above but with smaller purple fruit. I only have one variety just called purple so far. I may pick another in due course.
Physalis ixocapa  ( philadelphicaYellow - I haven't yet got seed for this one. as above but ripening yellow.


Cape gooseberry

Physalis peruviana - I haven't yet got seed for this one, but will do just haven't picked a cultivator. Originally from Peru as the name suggests. It has been cultivated in UK and South Africa for a long time so there are few different varieties. Fruits are smaller than tomatillos but sweeter. They used as a fruit, apparently with a pineapple like flavour.

Ground cherry
the rest of the species I can find are ground cherries of varying wildness

Physalis pruinosa - I have ordered some of these seeds from the states but not arrived yet. . The variety is called "Old molly's". They appear to be like a smaller cape gooseberry. ripening yellow or red.
Physalis pubscens - As above. Hairy leaves as name suggests. a wilder species. I have not yet got, but have seen seeds available so probably will try.
Physalis crassifolia - Small and wild and probably not edible. I saw the seeds while flicking through physalis on ebay, they were cheap and  not a species I had so I bought some.

Chinese lantern

Physalis alkekengi - Chinese lanterns are ornamental plants grown for their red husks. The plant is much more cold tolerant than the other species. Because of this, I thought I would grow some to try and use as root-stocks - grafting other physalis to its roots. There is much conflicting information about if this plant is edible. It appears that it is edible when fully ripe but not particularly pleasant. The confusion seems to come from seed companies and plant labels being too lazy to explain. It has developed for colour not flavour and could be toxic if eaten unripe(so can a tomato). This certainly seems to happen with ornamental peppers.

I'm also now reading 

No comments:

Post a Comment