Sunday 25 September 2016

Chilli pepper update - harvest and grow area

Just a quick update today. As the season winds down my last few varieties which will fruit this year are ripening up. This year is the first year I have successfully grown a  chinense variety outside rather than in a polytunnel or greenhouse. My "big sun habanero" has been outside since I got it. and has produced pretty well, if a bit late. I cant wait to do some cooking with these pods, as they are very hot but delicious. Chinense peppers are my favourite to cook with as have a unique fruity tropical flavour. I'm thinking "peach chilli jam", as I made a small batch of this before and it came out very nice, served with bread and cheese. The sweetness of the jam helps make the heat more bearable and the fruity flavour works brilliantly with peaches.
From left to right
Top row - Cheyenne, ? Unidentified like Apache but chunkier, Apache
Middle row - Gustav purple, Chenzo, Aji lemon, Superchilli F1
Bottom row - Big sun Habanero, not Carolina reaper (that is what they were labeled in the garden centre but clearly they are not), Cayenne


The plants outside are all ripening peppers. At this time of year its always difficult to judge when to cut down my plants and bring them indoors. Too early and I lose the chance to ripen all the remaining green pods. Too late and the frost will hit and kill the plants, preventing me from overwintering. 
Here is my outside Apache, Gustav purple and Hot banana

The first of my overwintering areas is rapidly filling up. I have insulated the window its next to with 3 layers of bubble-wrap. It has some recycled glass cupboard doors and a polystyrene top. it is lit by a small grow-light. its the first time I have used a purpose made LED grow-light bulb rather than a generic white bulb. I may use a 6500k (daylight) LED bulb over the other area (still under construction), to see if it makes much difference.
Here is the grow area
Inside with light on and off

This set up seems to give me the best of both worlds. The peppers get some natural sunlight but supplemented with artificial light. I just hope there is enough insulation on the window.

Just for fun I leave you with a photo I made to act as my Facebook picture as i do not like using a photo of myself


No comments:

Post a Comment