Friday 16 September 2016

A tale of two brothers - Accidental hybrid chilli

I was going to wait until my first ripe pod to right this post. I decided to write it now because there were some aphids on one of the other indoor plants. I wanted to get some good photos now, before the plants are under attack.

So some background... A few years ago I had the chilli bug and grew many different varieties. One of my favourites was "Hungarian black". I liked the variety because the plants were attractive, with purple flowers and compact growth habit. The plants produced well and  the peppers dried to make a nice deep red powder. I saved seed from the dried peppers but I had not isolated the flowers.
Fast forward to this year and after getting a couple of garden peppers I was searching around for some seeds to start and found these. I grew three plants, one is outside and producing peppers in the correct phenotype.
Of the two indoor plants one is again correct to phenotype. Seen here, this also shows how large plants can get in smaller pots in the self-watering pots.



 The other plant has much larger pods.

The two plants/pods next to each other for comparison.
Their flowers are also different. The small podded one has the normal purple flowers for this variety. the large pod has white flowers with a purple outline.

This means I have an accidental hybrid. I am not sure what the other parent of my new pepper is, but it was probably some kind of bell pepper judging by the size. This plant is an F1, that is a first generation cross between two varieties. F1 usually have genetics traits of both parents in equal measures. If the peppers ripen and I can collect seeds these will be F2. F2 have a lot more variation. F2 plants can have traits from both parents to varying degrees. Some of the F2 will have more genes from one parent some the other, some equal and all other combinations. I will try to grow out say eight F2 and pick out one or two with desired characteristics for growing to F3. the further down the f's you get the less variation and the closer you are to a stable variety. A variety can't be said to be stable until it has gone through many generations without sending out variations.

Edit - I know have a ripe pepper from this plant, photos and story continues here- Chilli pepper update

No comments:

Post a Comment