Sunday 6 November 2016

Chilli pepper update - Self-watering pot update and c.rhoboideum has germinated!

Firstly an update on the new reservoir I made for my self-watering pots.
I made this in the hope that next spring when the weather warms up I can put lots of my peppers in these. This would mean I could keep them in small pots and save on soil. Also what limited me this year was keeping my very small reservoir pots topped up. This much larger reservoir should last them much longer and give them much more root space.

So as for the update. The kale I planted has grown a lot (I didn't realise just how much till I looked at these pictures).
Before                                                            After

The growth on top which I can start to harvest is very nice but what i was really testing was how well the plants roots grow in this reservoir. The roots have also grown a lot and are white and healthy.

Roots

So all in all. A success! looks like I will have to start saving up these poly-boxes as I think I will put many of my peppers in these next year.

The next piece of good news is many of the seeds I planted last week have germinated. Including  the Capsicum rhoboideum, which is meant to be difficult to germinate. One of the reasons for such successful germination rates is good quality seed. For this I have semillas.de to thank, as their seed always seems to be top notch. Also I seem to have most success, "doing it the old fashion way". planting seeds in moist compost in a pot rather than germinating first or using so other modern method.

So for anyone wishing to emulate my success germinating Capsicum rhomboideum
  1. Good quality seed - Mine were from semillas
  2. Moist compost in a pot (other methods may work but this is what worked for me)
  3. Warmth\humidity - I used a heated propagator
  4. Patience - Try to forget about them a bit. Not essential but I find nothing ever comes up when I keep checking all the time. Make sure they have enough water and then leave it alone for  a while.
Capsicum rhomboideum

Thats all for now, more updates to follow as more wilds come up and I start to pot them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment